If you like my Blog

If you like my blog you can vote on the right, click to follow me, or be generous & leave a comment. (I love comments)
Thank You
-Ericka

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The crazy Ideas you get when you're penny pinching

As most know, Shane and I traveled to Europe for our honey moon. In Italy we got to stay with my family long enough to do our laundry there. One of the different things they do in this global practice is they hang their clothes to dry instead of using a dryer. Some of us Southern Californians (the only demographic I can bash about since I'm from there) would think Italy needs to update with the times and get the country some dryers. WRONG! There is nothing wrong with hanging out clothes to dry because....
1. Clothes last longer. The tumble and high heat of the dryer fades, and wears out your clothes faster. 
2. It saves energy especially in the summers to hang dry your clothes
3. The fact that Italians hang dry their clothes indicates that they possess a calm-paced lifestyle more stress free than us Americans
When we came home we took with us the habit of hanging our clothes to dry. 
I like to shop for my house supplies at Costco where it comes in bulk and saves me constant trips and budget calculations on shaving cream, hand soap, toilet paper, paper towels, chlorox disinfectant wipes, a-jax, stuff like that. Usually Costco has coupons for these items and this time around I was looking for hair conditioner. I go into the Costco with my coupon and to my convenience the conditioner in the coupon is out of stock!
"Ay yai yai! REALLY? But I need conditioner the next time I shower." 
Instead of buying another conditioner at regular price I decided to wait until the next coupon book comes out where there will be another coupon for a different conditioner. In the meanwhile I ransacked my travel bags looking for conditioner that I may have packed on previous trips. With luck I found a good 12oz bottle filled with conditioner and another .99 cent travel size. This should hold us up until the next coupon book comes in.
To my surprise when I went into the Costco last night I found out the new coupons will be arriving tomorrow, Thursday Oct 16th, so in perspective I waited less than a week for the conditioner using my spare travel bottles and it was totally worth the savings! ;)
For a while now when I take a beverage on the go I'll put in in one of the glass jars that i've been saving whether it's orange juice or water so that it's easy to wash out. I saved spaghetti sauce jars, pickle jars, peppercini jars. 
One of the things that we did to cut down on our grocery list was to buy a PUR water filter that attaches to the sink facet. It not only saves us money but it also saves the environment! :)

Since we no longer have water bottles to grab and go and we don't have Nalgene water bottles, we need something to carry our water throughout the day but we havn't budgeted for some of those cool new trendy aluminum bottles because there is so much stuff on the list that I want to buy that has priority over these water bottles such as a lunch pale for Shane, a book holder for my text books, a wedding album I made on blurb.com.
This is where that little jar thing that I do comes in. Shane and I now fill up a couple of our jars with our new PUR water filter and rotate them in fridge so we can grab one when we're heading out the door. Bring them home wash them, refill others , and we've got that holding us up while we wait to budget for our water bottles.

2 comments:

  1. How much did you save by buying the PUR filter vs buying water bottles? Enquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep meaning to buy one of those PUR water filters vs. paying $36 a month on water delivery.
    what about teh Filters how ofeten and how much is it going to cost you to change the filters?Enquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete