If you like my Blog

If you like my blog you can vote on the right, click to follow me, or be generous & leave a comment. (I love comments)
Thank You
-Ericka

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

We Need College Degrees

If you hadn't noticed Shane is pretty much the master keeper of all our budgets and the savings accounts. I just help spend it. Just kidding, since I'm a member of the budget committee I get to vote on how the money should be distributed. Shane's salary and my meager part-time job wages are not enough to get to our 3-6 month savings goal as quick as we'd like.
In order to start investing and making real money we need to kick-start this fund. Shane's friend told him about this guy name Scott Alexander who is now a millionaire. He's a motivational speaker, and he talks about how he made lots of money and is super rich but never would had taken the risks of investing if he didn't have two years of income saved up.

We now have come to the point where we really need to get school done to reach our goal quicker. If for the rest of our lives we made the average annual income which is currently $40,000.00 we wouldn't be millionaires until we retired. Which seems like such a bummer because we want to "live it up" as soon as possible, you know? We researched military salaries and to earn under $90,000 salary in the military Shane would need to put in 38 freakin years in the service if he remained enlisted. If he had a degree and applied to be an officer it would take less time to make an $80,000 salary. We discussed the topic and our goal is to work toward careers that start off at $70,000 a year hopefully even higher.

We decided we're not going to stay in the military, we feel that there are way more options to get a higher salary faster with a college degree than trying to climb the ladder in the Coast Guard. We do love the Coast Guard and we are so grateful for Shane's job and the fact that it has helped us map out our life and delivered us into the hands of the almighty financial guru Dave Ramsey.

Shane has decided to pursue a career in accounting or as a financial advisor because he fell in love with this new financial journey we are on and plugging in numbers and calculating savings. He definitely would like to help others who are struggling to get their finances in order. As for me I wanted to get my bachelors in architecture but I didn't do outstanding in highschool. I was accepted into Cal Poly Pomona but I wasn't accepted into the Architecture program so I tried out a year at a private architecture school in San Diego. After taking Dave Ramsey's Financial class I realized that I would have dragged my poor husband $130,000 into debt with no ideas on how I would pay it back. In order to afford a college tuition my plans changed and I have been accepted to the interior design program at San Diego State University (80% funded by financial aid). My ultimate goal is to do a great job at SDSU so that I can get into a master's program for architecture and help speed up our goal to "Live like no one else"

1 comment: