If you like my Blog

If you like my blog you can vote on the right, click to follow me, or be generous & leave a comment. (I love comments)
Thank You
-Ericka

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Saving for Family Visits

Back in September (I think) Shane's sister Azure said she was planning on coming to visit us in April to go to the Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C.
We got to preparing for her visit straight away. We set a goal to save at least $500.00 to spend on a hotel, transportation, and food. Every month we put away some money to the Cherry Blossom Fund. When the time got closer to April, we hadn't really heard from Azure about her decision to come so we called her and it just so happened that lucky girl is going to Hawaii instead. (Shooot, I'd take a trip to Hawaii instead of D.C. anytime.)
So in March we saw that we had saved $546.00 cash!! and our next step was to decide what to do with it.
What would you do if you had an extra $546.00 cash laying around?

 Since I applied to San Diego State University and was accepted :) I now have a $400.00 admission fee to pay. Instead of pulling from our $1,000.00 emergency fund we are using the Cherry Blossom Fund to pay for my fee. Whoopie!

My Mom's Visit:
Since October we had known my mom was coming to visit us in March but for some reason we didn't put 2 and 2 together until January when we realized we need some money in order to be proper hosts for my mom. Well we put little money to the "mammasita" fund and I believe we saved up $340.00 for her visit.
I took her to Jamestown where the ships of Captain John Smith landed and colonized. There they had tours of replica's of the English settlement, the ships and the Indian villages. Volunteers were dressed up in clothing of the era. We went to Williamsburg, there they have a preserved historic 1800's downtown.  We both took her to Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's Estate) in Charlottesville, VA. We went shopping and out to eat, but the lady would not let us pay for anything (I love you mom). We spent one day sewing seat cushions.
Out of the $340.00 we spent about half because my mom would not let us pay. We had to be sneaky and give the waiter our credit card when she wasn't looking in order to pay for the bill.
Cash leftover: $146.00

1 comment:

  1. HEY I've done that credit card sneaky move myself a time or two! We're sneaky, we are.

    Mamasita is still talking about her trip to Virginia and Monticello. Not too much about you guys though, now that I think about it. She really loved it out there.

    ReplyDelete