If you like my Blog

If you like my blog you can vote on the right, click to follow me, or be generous & leave a comment. (I love comments)
Thank You
-Ericka

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Savings Here and There

We have been purchasing a lot from on-line. Our rear drivers side window has a broken regulator (which looks like a cheap plastic $5.00 barrel for a skate board) and it isn't sold seperately from the entire motor which is $150.00 retail price. For months we have tried to find the regulator on-line. The junk yard would only sell me the entire motor for $75.00. Finally last night on Amazon we accepted that we had to buy the whole motor so we looked for the cheapest price. We found it for $48.00 and the best part is that we had $25.00 of Amazon credit from selling them a textbook. In the end we only had to spend $26.00 from our "Car Repair" fund. Yay!
Next we bought Microsoft office 2008 for MAC at an e-bay auction for $52.00. The savings comes from choosing an older version which works just as well as 2011.

Back in July Shane bought a laptop and with the computer came a promotion which was to purchase an H.P. printer for a full rebate. The printer was $100.00 and the rebate was for $100.00, "FREE PRINTER" was flashing through Sweetheart's mind. I was thinking why the heck did he fall for that scam when we already have a printer. What are we going to do with two printers? We don't even have one office. Sure buying things that offer a rebate is fine if you really want the item but we didn't need another printer. It urks me because if they are going to return us the full amount anyway, why don't they just do it right then and there? I am guessing since nothing is free, they probably are making some kind of profit for themselves first before they return the money. Basically we gave Apple a free loan without charging them interest.
Last month, I ate my words because our initial printer had broken down after 2 years. That was one less thing to spend money on.

Right now I'm looking for tools and furniture from Craigslist because we are getting closer to the time when we move back into our condo. The military movers are packing up our stuff in Virginia on May 3rd and shipping it out. Meanwhile I've been planning how to set up our condo so that we can accomodate a new baby. I'm deciding on what furniture to keep and what we should get to make our condo more functional with our new addition.

I have accumulated a list like; I want a day bed with a trundle for the guest/baby room. I'm storing away our home-made office desk. The nook in our living room Shane installed shelves for needs to be re-adjusted from housing our entertainment to an office nook. I so badly want to replace our kitchen counter top so that we have an up-graded, leveled, eye-appealing kitchen. I want to replace the corner base cabinet with one that has a lazy susan so that its a functional cabinet. I want new summer curtains for every room, a new bedding and pillows, a living room chair or two. In order to get this goal accomplish I gotta make a wish list prioritize from most important to least and keep saving money to purchase this stuff in cash.

With a list like mine Shane has given me a "Condo Improvement" Fund and we have to decide how to make every dollar stretch by doing the remodeling ourselves or buying used.

1 comment:

  1. That envelope needs to be labeled a Nesting Because I'm Pregnant Fund. Trust me, that's what it is.

    Lupe will still tell the tale of him getting up at 2am to find me on my hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor with a dish brush when I was 7 months pregnant. The floor looked awesome.

    Never cleaned it once after the baby came.

    ReplyDelete