If you like my Blog

If you like my blog you can vote on the right, click to follow me, or be generous & leave a comment. (I love comments)
Thank You
-Ericka

Monday, October 11, 2010

It's so Aweful to be the Flake

I feel absolutely terrible for letting some people down because I had made all kinds of plans for the month without realizing "hello!! You kind of have a budget to take into account"
First of all in the month of September we gave ourselves $150.00 for entertainment but only spent about $100.00. For October we lowered our fund to $100.00.
The local amusement park hosts a halloween fest just like Knotts Scary Farm in southern CA which is an anual tradition I love to do with friends. We decided to go to the fest for home-sick sake and we were so lucky to be friends with someone who works there who gave us a major discount on our tickets about $17.00 cheaper, plus she took work off to be able to go so those plans were set in stone totaling up to $92.00, leaving $8.00 leftover in the entertainment envelope.
Next on the list was a pumpkin party we had already planned for about 2 weeks in advance with our close friends the Dayrits.
At school I joined the Ballroom dance club and we're always encouraged to go to the Mambo Room a dance studio/club on Friday nights which is $10.00 per person. I began getting a group together and planning for us all to meet at my house and carpool together. But then I went home and calculated that our $100.00 dollars in our entertainment envelope was not going to cover our halloween fest tickets $92.00, our pumpkins for the party $5.00 and $10.00 cover charge for the Mambo Room multiplied by 2 is $20.00. Man! Why didn't we keep the same budget from last month $150.00?
In order to stay under our budget I had to cancel on the Mambo Room because it wasn't a pre-planned event and what made it worse was because I was the coordinator the one organizing the function. Oh well, i texted the 3 girls and said that I was really really sorry for being a flake and I told them the truth which was I didn't have enough money to afford it. Luckily 2 out of the 3 girls said they weren't going to make it anyway.
Shane was really happy I canceled because it had been a while since we stayed home on a Friday night and watched movies. Yup, we rented from redbox and used our coupon we recieved on account of being new Virginia residents to order a free medium pizza. Friday night = $2.12
Saturday night: $5.00

Sunday=$0.00
Invited friends from church over to play games
Total for the Entertainment Envelope:
$100.00
- 92.00 - halloween fest
- 5.00- pumpkins
- 2.12-redbox
__
$0.88 leftover

7 comments:

  1. BUUUUUUUUUT! You're not all done with October! What will you do?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooohh, they're giving away free Pizza in Virginia? I'm a-coming!

    Great job on budgeting the fun stuff. My money disappears fast when I'm out partying. Instead of trying to squeeze in pumpkin carving in the next two weeks I'm going to plan a night in as one of my 'nights out'. Coco will love it and I will make pumpkin brownies and we will bond.

    And then I'll blog about it. :) Stay tuned!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay!!! I totally want to know how it will go!! I wish you could video tape it for me so I can feel like I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question Ben,What you don't know is that we have the rest of the month booked with activities. We played it smart and pre-planned our activities at the beginning of the month according to our budget. The Halloween Fest is scheduled for the last Saturday of the month Oct 30th.
    And there are some activities that do not qualify under the entertainment envelope. For example next weekend we are going to the D.C. temple and since admission to the temple is free all we have to pay for is the gas to drive up which will come from the gas envelope, and food which will come from the restaurant envelope. If we're smart we'll eat breakfast before we leave, pack our lunch, and just spend money on dinner. The Saturday after that Shane has an Elders Quorom service project and cookout, I'll probably be hanging out with the girls, so that weekend won't cost anything, just the regular cost of gas or fast food from the restaurant envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go guys! You are an inspiration to us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job Ericka, wish I was as disciplined as you …one god thing is I have a son who is making me save money… we are not allowed to go shopping without him and he doesn’t allow us buy any junk food or SODA’s !!!

    Irene, can't wait to read all about it and see you and coco bond!!! hey send me the recipe for the Pumpkin Brownies.

    ReplyDelete